PRACTICE FOCUS AREA
DUI Defense Lawyer in Augusta, GA
DUI in Georgia
What is a DUI in Georgia?
In the state of Georgia there are two ways a driver can violate the driving under the influence (DUI) law:
- DUI Less Safe (GA Zero Tolerance) – An officer observes the driver commit a “less-safe act”, and makes an educated determination that this was the result of some level of intoxication.
- DUI per se – A driver is administered a chemical test (blood or breath) and their blood alcohol content (BAC) is 0.08% or higher.
In the case of “under the influence” you do not have to have a BAC of 0.08 or higher to be determined guilty.
Is a DUI a Felony in Georgia?
In the state of Georgia, driving under the influence can be classified as either a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the circumstances of the arrest and the driver’s history. A conviction, felony or otherwise, will result in a permanent criminal record.
Penalties For a DUI in Georgia
There are two seperate penalties to deal with when convicted of a DUI: the criminal case and an administrative proceeding against your license. ALWAYS contact an attorney immediately upon release on a DUI arrest, as there are deadlines imposed by the Georgia Department of Driver’s Services which can lead to a 12 month license suspension, regardless of whether the charge for DUI has been resolved. For first-time offenders, penalties for DUI are the following:
- Up to 12 months in confinement, with a mandatory minimum 24 hours to serve
- Fines up to $1,000 plus court charges
- No less than 40 hours community service
- Substance abuse counseling
- Attendance of DUI Risk Reduction School
- Drivers license suspension (limited privileges on first offense)
For felony DUI convictions/repeat offenses, severity of penalties go up substantially.
In Georgia, being convicted of DUI is expensive and can result in life-changing consequences beyond the courtroom. If you are arrested for a DUI, contact the The Usry Firm immediately for a free consultation.
1450 Greene St., Ste. 130
Augusta, GA 30901
We are here for you | 24/7:
The Usry Firm is committed to the criminal defense of our clients. Trust us to navigate and guide you through this experience.